JOB GOAL / PURPOSE:
The Counselor provides individual counseling, group guidance and counseling for students, and consultation, coordination and information services for students, staff and parents. Generally, each MS counselor takes responsibility for a grade level (6,7, or 8), and the grade level is likely to change from year to year.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITES:
• Integrate the SEL scope and sequence across your grade level in collaboration with grade-level mentoring coordinators
• Work with the team of SEL teachers, counselors, and division heads to support the integration of SEL into the fabric of the school
• Collaborate with colleagues to enrich the SEL components of their curriculum and instruction
• Teach SEL classes as need in the mentoring program
• With the counseling team, support the development of the SEL components for mentoring
• Support faculty and staff with SEL-based professional development, for example through new teacher or associate teacher training, small weekly working groups, or whole-school PD in-service days
• Provides social-emotional counseling to individual students, parents and teachers.
• Provides group counseling.
• Consults with parents regarding parenting concerns and problems that are related to the student’s school adjustment and performance.
• Consults with teachers regarding student’s emotional/social concerns, developmental concerns, problem solving and behavior management and then develops appropriate strategies.
• Assists teaching teams to formulate plans of action related to identify issues to help create a positive learning environment throughout the school.
• Helps to manage and facilitate the Middle School Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) process.
• Refers students and parents to appropriate community resources.
• Participates in the admissions process as needed.
• Collaborates with all stakeholders in student placement.
• Develop and implement a transition program to assist students who are making transitions between grades at ISB.
• Organizes and lead Parent Workshops and meetings.
• Assists families with preparation and assembly of specific documents to support student transition to other schools.
• Facilitates student applications to summer programs.
• Serves as a first point of contact and manages all documentation for child protection (safeguarding) concerns for all students on his/her caseload.
• Maintains confidential student records.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Possess Guidance Counselor qualifications and experience
• Be an effective communicator with teachers, students and parents.
• Have the ability to problem solve under pressure.
• Have the ability to deal with conflict resolution.
• Have proven organizational skills.