In order to meet HKIS student learning results and grade level expectations, the Chinese Studies teacher carries out the following responsibilities within the following domains: Planning and Preparation, Classroom Management, Instruction, and Professional Responsibilities.
The role of the Mandarin teacher at HKIS includes planning, classroom instruction, assessment, grading and collaborative work with other Mandarin teachers. It may also include responsibilities of a homeroom (pastoral care) and coaching or other student club. It is understood in carrying out these responsibilities that the teacher supports the school mission which follows: Dedicating our minds to inquiry, our hearts to compassion, and our lives to service and global understanding: An American style education grounded in the Christian faith and respecting the spiritual lives of all.
• Qualified Teacher in Chinese language and culture
• Training workshops or certificate in teaching Chinese as a Second/Foreign Language, preferably TPRS, TBLT and training related to ACTFL standards/benchmarks/assessment
• Bachelors Degree in relevant subject area
• Masters preferable
• Minimum 5 years experience in teaching Chinese as a second/foreign language
• Successful experience in working with students in the age group she/he is teaching
• Previous experience in an international school and familiarity with American educational system
• Experience in creating UbD units of work using ‘backward design’ strategies
• As a school grounded in the Christian faith, we hire Christian teachers and administrators as well as those of other faiths. HKIS seeks to hire candidates who are interested in the complex questions of faith and spirituality and who are keen to learn and interact with others of different faith traditions.