PRIMARY SCHOOL ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL
Qatar Academy Doha (QAD)
For the 2020 - 2021 School Year
Qatar Foundation is growing fast and we’re looking for outstanding educators to join our team. The Foundation focuses on education, science and research, and community development, and we need the best people to help us achieve our ambitious goals. If you smile when you think about children; when you’re talking to parents; when you’re discussing new ideas in education; when you’re removing barriers to learning, you may be the person we’re looking for.
The Foundation’s work in the field of education has brought prestigious, international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can acquire the attitudes and skills needed to build a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
In pursuit of excellence in education, Qatar Foundation Schools is seeking an exceptional educational leader to serve as the next Primary School Assistant Principal of Qatar Academy Doha, effective August 01, 2020. The Primary School Assistant Principal is responsible for assigned aspects of the preschool – grade 5 program. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document. Qatar Foundation offers highly competitive packages that make it one of the top employers in Qatar and throughout the region.
Qatar Academy Doha has over 1880 students enrolled into its three divisions: the Primary School, which is inclusive of an Early Education Center, the Middle and High Schools. As an IB World School, Qatar Academy Doha is authorized to offer the PYP, MYP and DP programmes. Approximately two-thirds of QAD graduates depart having earned an IB Diploma and all graduate with a CIS/ NEASC accredited high school diploma. English is the language of instruction in all disciplines and subjects except Arabic, Islamic Studies and Qatar History, which are taught in Arabic. Over 80% of QAD students are Qatari and a large majority are English Language Learners. Qatar Academy Doha is an inclusive school that serves a wide variety of learning needs and abilities. Boys and girls are taught in mixed classes for the PYP and the DP, and separately for the MYP (Grades 6 to 10). QAD is very well resourced for teaching facilities, especially for technology, sports, design, art, science, drama, music and a world class Early Years center.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar. The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science and research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of world-renowned international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
Qatar Academy Doha (QAD) is one of the Middle East’s premier educational institutions. The school offers academic excellence through Primary, Middle Year and IB Diploma programs based on the principle that education involves the development of a student’s cognitive, physical, social, moral and affective capabilities.
A dynamic classroom curriculum combined with community and service programs, experiential education, and extra-curricular activities enable students to participate in and reflect on the educational journey from preschool through the university admissions process. Students are a respected part of the learning process shared with parents and teachers. They are encouraged to be risk takers, unafraid to ask questions and confidently seek answers.
QAD students have unique opportunities to travel, study and participate in sports throughout the Middle East region and all over the world. Locally, Senior School students participate in and help organize the Qatar Leadership Conference and the THIMUN Qatar Conference. Students also travel the globe, partaking in service learning efforts in Nepal, learning about the Islamic and Muslim influences within Spain, engaging in debate and policy development in Beijing, and performing community and service in Tanzania.
Qatar Academy Doha does not just educate. QAD prepares students for work, life and leadership in their own communities and society at large.
Current enrolment for Qatar Academy is 1880 from Early Years to Grade 12. The primary school has a total student enrolment of 1078 students, for the 2020-2021 school year, from grades EEC to 5. A large percentage of the student population is Qatari.
Qatar Academy offers a rigorous program encompassing an international English-medium education, strong Arabic and Islamic Studies. The QA community supports and challenges students to be critical thinkers, and active and contributing members of society, through learning experiences serving the needs, interests and learning styles of each student.
Empowering students to achieve academic excellence and be responsible citizens.
In collaboration with the Educational Leadership Team and the Administrative Team, the Primary School Assistant Principal is responsible for supporting the Primary School Principal in the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of all educational programs, including academic and pastoral elements.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
• Post Graduate Qualification in Education, Educational Leadership, or other relevant field preferred
• 5 years of classroom experience
• Experience of responsibility and leadership in educational settings
• Effective interpersonal, leadership, and written & oral communication skills
• Arabic proficiency is desirable
The following are key attributes we are seeking in the successful candidate:
• Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business
• Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization
• Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations
• Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team
• Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty
• Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision
• Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost
• Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions
The Primary School Assistant Principal will be part of the QAD Administration team.
The Primary School Assistant Principal will:
• Assist the Principal in the overall administration of the school including staff management, curriculum development, student management, etc. to ensure smooth operations
• Manage the school-wide positive behavior support system, handle student supervision issues, and clearly communicate behavioral expectations among faculty, staff, students & parents in order to create a safe and consistent learning environment. Assist in the planning, development and implementation of individual student behavior plans. Serve as a resource for faculty in dealing with classroom management issues. Maintain accurate records relative to disciplinary cases addressed
• Be highly visible around the building and grounds before and after school, during lunch periods, while students are changing classes, and during extracurricular activities
• Supervise the collection and dissemination of attendance and tardy data, and contact parents in the case of chronic attendance issues in order to support student for learning
• Assist the Principal in ensuring that all teachers have a clear understanding of performance expectations and promote faculty professional development toward becoming "master teachers"
• Assist the Principal in monitoring and reporting student assessment and evaluation
• Assist the Principal in analyzing assessment information to determine whether curricular and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being met
• Assist the Principal in supervising the implementation of all aspects of the International
• Baccalaureate (IB) program
• Monitor Teachers, Coordinators, Team Leaders and Heads of Departments to ensure that teaching and learning align with the planned curriculum
• Attend meetings with faculty, staff, district administrators, parents, students, and others in order to ensure clear communication, provide leadership, and I or represent the interests of the school community
• Prepare duty schedule and manage substitute teachers to ensure adequate classroom and duty coverage
• Act as the designated Principal in his or her absence
• Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the Principal
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly completive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
Candidates wishing to learn more about QAD can visit our website at www.qataracademy.edu.qa
The deadline for receipt of applications is December 31st , 2019. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserve the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should complete in full the application form. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, applications with incomplete application forms will not be considered. Also, candidates should provide a statement of education philosophy, including an explanation of why they believe they are the right person for the position
Complete applications should be addressed to the Director, Mr. Stephen Meek, at email@example.com , and copied to the Executive Director of QF Schools, Mr. Stuart Leeming, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
Qatar Foundation Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all who apply to share in this commitment. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, incomplete applications will not be considered. Offers of interview and employment will be subject to an enhanced background and criminal record check.