Reports To: Divisional Principal
The role of the teacher is to provide quality, differentiated learning experiences for students in a socially, educationally and physically safe environment allowing them to learn, contribute and interact with their peers and teachers in a manner which fosters and encourages the characteristics of the IB Learner Profile
1. Undertakes such teaching duties as stipulated in the contract of employment.
2. Carry out such other related duties and responsibilities as may reasonably be requested by the Principal within the limitations of the teacher’s contract.
3. Understands and adheres to the Teachers Essential Agreements
Teaching and Classroom Environment
1. Creates a positive, stimulating, academic and risk free environment in which students can thrive educationally and socially.
2. Creates an atmosphere recognizing and encouraging the attributes of the IB learner Profile.
3. Creates a learning environment which recognizes the individual learning styles of the students.
4. Ensures that all students are aware of and follow behaviorial agreements.
5. Addresses all issues with positivity
6. Ensures that classrooms, furnishings, resources and equipment are respected and valued by students
Planning and Organisation.
1. Follows all prescribed teaching strategies and curriculum delivery in line with the school’s curriculum direction and affiliation with the IB
2. Maintains all planning and record keeping as requested by the school
3. Demonstrates a collaborative model to all planning requirements
1. Attends all regular departmental or team meetings.
2. Carries out teaching-related tasks as requested by the Administration.
3. Prepares for and contributes to all Parent/Teacher events
4. Participates in year-level or subject-based field trips as requested.
5. Supports the school and its programmes in a professional and collegial manner.
6. Participates in any After School Activities stipulated in Teachers contract.
7. Helps create a united and effective professional team by exhibiting qualities of loyalty, tact, confidentiality, reliability, enthusiasm, efficiency and work ethic.
8. Provides a good personal example to students in terms of attitudes, dress, deportment, manners, language and punctuality.
1. Advises and cooperates with colleagues in determining year-level and specialist programmes.
2. Contributes expertise to the development of educational programmes.
3. Prepares teaching resources in response to changes in the curriculum and/or its assessment.
4. Contributes subject expertise to the development of cross-curricular activities.
1. Contributes to and participates in formal performance review and appraisal.
2. Participates in professional development activities as and when requested by the divisional Principals.
3. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of subjects taught.
4. Maintains a level of ICT proficiency as determined and supported by the School.
1. Sets homework in accordance with the homework policy.
2. Maintains an appropriate assessment records
3. Uses assessment information to improve student teaching and learning
4. Initiates and maintains close communication with parents regarding the social and academic progress of the students
5. Conducts regular assessment of student work, both formative and summative, according to schools Assessment Policy
Examinations (High School)
1. Participates and supports arrangements for preparing and entering students for IBD examinations
2. Is familiar with the IB syllabi and examination requirements for the subjects taught.
3. Strives for delivery of lessons that are of the highest quality
4. Supports and prepares students for externally moderated examinations.
5. Writes, sets and marks appropriate internal examinations as requested by the subject coordinator and Principal within the deadlines set.
Interactions with students
1. Builds and solidifies strong interpersonal rapport with students
2. Provides the necessary pastoral care and support for all students.
3. Carries out pastoral duties as stipulated by the divisional principal
4. Takes a collaborative approach to issues requiring sensitivity.
1. Provides the framework for students being able to work in a risk free environment. (Code of Conduct)
2. Is proactive with issues of student misbehavior.
3. Maintains a positive approach to aspects of behavior management.
4. Ensures the health, welfare and safety of students is paramount.
5. Involves other colleagues with incidents of student’s poor behavior or choices.
Undertakes school supervision duties in a professional manner providing a duty of care over all students.
1. Completes registers, forms and records according to specified deadlines.
2. Takes and monitors student attendance.
3. Plays a full part in ensuring that students pay attention to official communications from the school.
4. Ensures that students obey uniform regulations.
5. Participates in all professional meetings
6. Is fully professional in all areas of the school’s operations.
Contributes to the school’s Activities Programme
Changes to Job Description
The occasion may arise where the teacher is asked to consider a fundamental changes to their agreed job description. Any such change should be discussed and agreements sought prior the change being finalised