St. Mary’s International School is seeking an experienced learning lupport teacher for our elementary school. We are a K-12 Catholic international all-boys school in Tokyo, and our elementary school encompasses Grades RP-5 (our Readiness Program is equivalent to kindergarten). The learning support teacher works in a team of six support staff members (three learning support and three ESL), works with the classroom teachers to help them meet the learning needs of the students in the mainstream classroom as well as participating in push-in and pull-out when needed for students who have been identified for extra modifications. This role has the possibility of further advancement to a coordinator role.
It is also essential that the Learning Support teacher has a strong knowledge of the latest learning support policies and best practices. The successful applicant must be able to work with leaders and teachers to ensure development of all students and be an excellent communicator who can work with a variety of stakeholders.
The job description for the position includes the following:
• Work with the learning support team, together with the principals, to ensure that all students with identified special needs have support where needed
• Work as a team member for providing learning support to students
• Monitor and record student learning progress and provide teachers with information as needed
• Keep detailed and regularly updated records of observations, individual student meetings, parent meetings and teacher feedback
• Liaise on a regular basis with individual classroom teachers to provide support in the provision of enrichment and extension programs
• Use the school’s summative assessment data to inform and track student progress
• Work with the Learning Support Coordinator to discuss the specific needs students