CIS seeks an Early Childhood Teacher Assistant who can help create student centered lessons following a High Scope philosophy. The ideal candidate is energetic and understands child development, is able to listen to and understand young children and how they learn. Is able to create a nurturing learning atmosphere for every student. The ideal candidate is a team player and can work in a collaborative spirit with the lead teacher and with fellow teacher assistants.
Specifically Teacher Assistants will:
• have a highschool degree or higher.
• have excellent verbal and written skills.
• have previous experience working in an Early Childhood program
• assist in developing lesson plans based on HighScope requirements and the specific needs of each child.
• collaborate with teachers to monitor the development of each child.
• understand the teacher’s routine and be able to support or run aspects of the classroom day.
• work with small groups and whole classes of children to promote their learning and development.
• maintain a clean classroom environment.
• support children’s hygiene including the changing of diapers.
• understand the tenets of positive discipline for preschool children
• express joy in the classroom
• HighScope, Reggio Inspired or equivalent pedagogical training (a plus)
• be able to work in the afterschool program.
• have first aid training or be able to be trained.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to:
• move quickly, stand, sit, speak clearly, and listen.
• use hands and arms, stand, bend or stoop.
• move about the campus, including walking students to different locations.
• Be able to pick up 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up up to 45 lbs. in connection with carrying children to support their needs, ensure child safety, and potential response to emergency situations.