The Director of Learning is responsible for EY-12 implementation of the International School of Beijing’s (ISB) curriculum, overseas professional development to improve teaching and learning practices, and drives successful student outcomes in line with the school’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
The Director of Learning works collaboratively with the divisional administration, the divisional Curriculum & Professional Learning Coordinators, and the Technology Office. Reporting to the Head of School, s/he has oversight of the Office of Learning, and a team of professionals to ensure a consistent vision in all aspects of learning and teaching. The Director of Learning ensures that all programs and practices of faculty and staff support the school’s mission and vision and that is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture. on a day-to-day basis, are provided with an excellent educational program.
Curriculum & Professional Learning
• Lead effective implementation and continuous evaluation and improvement of ISB’s curriculum
• Oversee and the Director of Curriculum & Professional Learning to facilitate and ensure consistent school wide implementation of the curriculum
• Through the Curriculum & Professional Learning Coordinators, assist and support teachers to implement curriculum effectively and consistently
• Work with the Experiential Learning Coordinator, and other Office of Learning staff to support all-school initiatives and special projects
• Communicate requirements and progress of the curriculum development process to the ISB faculty and administration
• Ensure the provision of school-wide, curriculum-focused staff development that provides for superior performance in delivery of ISB’s curriculum
• Work with the divisional administration and Director of Student Support Services to oversee the standardized testing and assessment data management and analysis of the entire school
• Lead and coordinate the implementation of a shared vision for the comprehensive, effective and innovative infusion of technology in learning and teaching
• Plan with, advise, assist and support teachers and administrators in infusing technology to provide meaningful relevant and engaging learning experiences for all students, aligned with the ISB curriculum framework, Understanding by Design (UbD), differentiated instruction, and ISB’s Assessment Principles via coaching, mentoring, modeling and co-teaching
• Collaborate with Ed Tech Facilitators, teachers, Principals and the ICT Office to collect, record and report data on the use of ICT throughout the schools instructional programs and operations
• Develop and coordinate ongoing professional development programs to support the integration of ICT and infusion of technology into learning and teaching practices, in collaboration with divisional administrators, the Office of Learning, and the ICT Office.
• Contribute to ISB publications, web site and other forms of internal and external communications
• Gather and report data on curriculum implementation
• Support curriculum development and assessment that drives strong student outcomes for all learners.
• Use data to improve student learning.
• Perform any other associated duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERICENCE REQUIRED:
• Preferably a Master's Degree in Education and/or Administration with a strong technology component
• Demonstrated leadership qualities, preferably in a high-performing school or district
• High level of experience and current knowledge of curriculum design and implementation
• Thorough knowledge of, and experience with, standards-based curriculum, benchmark assessment, and data analysis for school improvement
• Experience with Curriculum Mapping, Understanding by Design framework for curriculum development, best practices of curriculum implementation, and Differentiated Instruction
• Experience and current knowledge of staff development programs and implementation
• Experience in leading groups and implementing curricular initiatives within a Professional Learning Community
• Strong ICT skills, with evidence of technology infusion in classroom practices
• Experience managing a large budget which focuses technology expenditure on student learning
• Outstanding vision for effective and appropriate use of technology to enhance student learning in schools
• Superior facilitation and organizational ability, with demonstrated ability to lead teacher groups
• Past record of utilizing data to improve student outcomes
• Experience with using education research to improve teaching and learning strategies
• The capacity to organize and deliver effective training and presentations to diverse audiences
• Resourceful and can-do attitude
• Good sense of humor and love of working with people