To support our Secondary team, we are looking for an adaptable and inspiring Vice Principal Student Support, Well-being and Engagement starting August 2020 (40hrs per week, 25% teaching load).
This role will be pivotal in continuing to develop our inclusive culture of learning. At BMS, our focus is on developing the full potential of our students. We provide support for students in their academic and social-emotional growth during a critical time period in their development by fostering an environment where they feel safe, encouraged and empowered to participate in the full life of the school. Pastoral Care is central to our approach.
The Vice Principal is a member of the Secondary School Leadership Team, reporting directly to the Secondary School Principal. He/she is responsible for organizing and facilitating the functioning of the Secondary School as it relates to student support, well-being and engagement. The Vice Principal is also the designated Child Protection Leader for the Secondary School.
THE EXCITING CHALLENGE
• Developing our vision for student support, well being and engagement at BMS.
• Student safeguarding.
• Leading the community in building a shared understanding of how student well-being policies and practice support student learning.
• Ensuring the effective induction of new staff in the policy and practice of student well-being.
• Leading and organizing professional development in support of student support, well-being and engagement.
• Leading and managing the work of our well-being and support teams, including:
- the work of tutors through the Heads of Grades
- medical support, through the nurse
- emotional and psychological support, through the school counselor
- the Learning Support Team.
• Promotion and support of student leadership (including the BMS House system).
• Leading our restorative approach to behavior management.
• Actively monitoring and following-up on learning goals articulated in individual student well-being programs.
• Coaching and counseling students regarding emotional, academic, social or behavioral concerns.
• Degree(s) in education with qualification in Educational Administration advantageous
• Demonstrated Secondary teaching and leadership experience
• Experience of supporting students with additional needs and working with other professionals and agencies to support young people and their families
• IB experience preferred
• Positive and supportive attitude
• Self-motivated and goal focused
• Proficient in oral and written English
• Working knowledge of oral and written German advantageous
• Proficient communication technology skills
• Student-centered approach to teaching and learning
WHAT TO EXPECT AT BMS
We offer a modern, inspiring work environment with international employees and an open school community in the heart of Berlin.
The opportunity to grow in an interesting environment and to define with us new quality standards in the field of education.
Our open-door-culture with the leadership, joint learning and case counselling creates an inspiring and supporting collaboration.
Continuous personal development through professional development days and individual training.
We offer best conditions for a modern classroom with a comprehensive range of modern technology and resources.
Benefits such as relocation package (visa, settling in allowance, housing support etc.), daily free lunch for all staff members and sabbatical opportunities.