The Canadian International School of Singapore seeks a
Secondary School Vice Principal - Lakeside Campus
For the 2020-2021 School Year
Starting Date: July 20, 2020
Application Deadline: December 1. 2019
While the closing date for this competition is December 1, 2019, CIS reserves the right to appoint earlier than the published deadline should an outstanding candidate emerge. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application at the earliest possible opportunity.
CIS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all who work and learn with us. All applicants must be willing to undergo rigorous child protection screening, including reference checks with past employers not listed on the candidate’s resume and Disclosure and barring service checks.
CIS will provide extraordinary learning opportunities for the globally connected student. A nurturing environment, an international curriculum, and a culturally diverse community will facilitate exceptional achievements. Together we will take action to make the world a better place.
Engage Enlighten Empower
Collaboration Curiosity Creativity
Generosity Respect Excellence
The Ideal Candidate
You are an educational leader who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to the teaching and learning principles articulated in both the International Baccalaureate programme and CIS vision, mission and values throughout your career.
You bring a research-based focus to teaching and learning and are an expert in using data to analyze student achievement and develop appropriate programs, strategies and interventions.
About Our School
The Canadian International School of Singapore (CIS) was founded in 1990. It is an IB continuum school with a population of approximately 3,300 students from over 70 nationalities Nursery to grade 12. The Lakeside secondary division serve a student population of approximately 1,00 students from grades 7-12.
The Lakeside campus in the Jurong West area of Singapore was opened in 2007 and sits on 43,000 sq. m. of land. The school boasts impressive facilities including large classrooms connected to learning pods, a 50 m outdoor pool, a 500 seat auditorium and library. We combine state-of-the-art classrooms, learning pods, and other learning spaces to support our inquiry-based approach and encourage a strong sense of community.
The secondary vice-principal works closely with the principal, another vice-principal and an MYP and DP coordinator to support curriculum implementation and best practices in classroom instruction.
As a member of the senior administration team, the secondary vice-principal contributes to the overall operation of and the strategic planning for the school and sits as a member of the school’s Senior Academic Team.
• Create exceptional learning opportunities and promote outstanding student achievement
• Promote our school culture of care, inclusiveness and encouragement
• Use student achievement data to inform instructional practice and improve student achievement
• Support grade-level teams in their development, understanding and implementation of the advisory programme.
• Support academic subject teams in their development, understanding and implementation of the curriculum
• Encourage teacher growth and professional development
• Assist in the supervision, delivery and evaluation of programs, teachers and instruction
• Help organize special school events
• Contribute to the school’s strategic plan
• Develop timetables, schedules and procedures and protocols to ensure the effective delivery of educational services
• Oversee off-campus learning experiences including field trips and the excursion program.
• Take a positive and proactive approach to student academic, behavioural, and emotional development
• Communicate student progress and achievements to parents
• Model a positive, caring and constructive approach in resolving conflict
• Attend meetings as required and report on issues, events, and celebrations
• Communicate regarding student, teacher, facility, or school curricular issues
• Facilitate meetings between teachers and parents as required
• Advise and assist the principal in the staffing process
• Facilitate the orientation of new staff to the policies of the school
• Assist with teacher appraisals
• Contribute to the school’s professional development program
• Maintain a strong professional relationship with the community and educational providers (IBO, WASC and EARCOS)
• Maintain a strong working relationship with the school’s neighbours.
Compliance with External Agencies
• Work with the principal and coordinators to ensure compliance with all IB programme authorization and WASC evaluation requirements
• Support the school’s self-study process
• Ensure compliance with authorization and accreditation authorities
• Complete aspects of the annual internal review as requested by the Quality Assurance Manager
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the school strategic plan
• Contribute as a team member to student support services
• Collaborate with coordinators as they carry out their responsibilities
• Teaching certification
• Master’s or related leadership degree in a related field
• Significant experience in leadership positions in an IB setting
• A minimum of 10 years of successful classroom teaching including an extended period of exemplary teaching within an IB context
• Exceptional leadership, communication, collaboration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
• A communicator who not only presents well but listens, empathizes, and connects
• An educator who possesses a deep knowledge of curriculum, instruction and learning
• A visionary with a clear sense of purpose and direction
• A connector who builds strong and productive relationships
• A change agent who understands and appreciates the challenge of change
• A builder with motivation, energy, and enthusiasm to spare
• A producer who is results-oriented and has a strong sense of personal accountability
• A character builder whose behaviour is marked by trustworthiness, respect, and integrity
• A team player whose priority is the success of others
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to send the information listed below as a single pdf file attachment to:
Mr. Peter Corcoran and Mr. Jeff Smith
Head of School Secondary School Principal
The application package must include as a single pdf
• A one-page letter of application explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in applying for this position.
• A current resume not to exceed two pages and including a recent picture
• A one-page statement outlining your educational philosophy and leadership style
• A one-page list of references with the business, home phone numbers and email addresses of three school administrators with whom you have worked including the current head of school and current principal.
Additional information about our school can be found on the school’s web site at www.cis.edu.sg